GOING BACK TO WHERE WE WERE ABOUT OUR LANGUAGE.

                   GOING BACK TO WHERE WE WERE ABOUT OUR LANGUAGE.

Left to me, I don' t think that kids should be taught there language at tender age because I believe it will spoil their spoken English.
Sometimes last week my school headmistress  informed us during the staff meeting, the report of the meeting held with deputy governor of Lagos state, other dignitaries and principals of schools.
Guess what the reason of the meeting was? Well they were informed to bring back Yoruba language to the pupils on the assembly ground and in classrooms every Wednesdays due to the fact that most pupils can’t communicate very we'll in Yoruba.
According to what I heard, Yoruba’s have neglected their language and culture so we embrace other culture and languages. So i started making preparation to conduct the devotion for the following week and memorizing the second stanza and pledge in Yoruba, i was able to deliver despite knowing that my voice is out of the league when singing, I was able to teach the pupils the First stanza and tthe pledge on the assembly and I feel fulfilled, glory be to God almighty, it didnt stop there, i went further to teach and communicate with the class in yoruba during the school activity although i used English in between but i believe with time i will get it right, it was not strange to me though, because while in secondary school, we do recite the national anthem, the pledge and the school pledge in Yoruba but later things change, pupils are cut-off not to communicate in their mother tongue, except English, i was part of those that believe the only way to compete in life and do well is by understanding English language, we have forgotten that the best way to interpret a situation, or solve a solution is by relating it to the language we are more conversant with, which is our mother tongue, this problem is common among we Yoruba’s some parent discipline or cut off their kids when they speak their mother tongue which other tribe don’t do, parents communicate with their kids at tender stage using their dialect.

I would not say am innocent I encourage my little ones to communicate  in English I even encourage one of my pupils who joined us last session to make the attempt of speaking English and let him see reasons  why he needs to do so.

When I sit backing to watch awards aswell as football interviews, even the Koreans, Mexican and some Indians movie, I find out they could not communicate  in English and they do not see any thing wrong in it, yet they are excelling and they are proud to speak there language even when they have people who barely understand  around they are less concern about it, without English language they have made it and are still making it big time.

I think the change should begin with everyone of us, let’s not feel shy when speaking our language because the Hausa’s and Igbo’s communicate with their kids with their language at tender age even when they travelled around the world, why can’t we Yoruba’s do the same.

I think my next write-up should be in Yoruba, I can imagine what is going to be like without the DO/ RE/ MI signs, i know my readers would start having different interpretation of the message that is being passed on to them, but no qualms, would give it my best shot. Eje kin da duro niyin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I BUTCHERED IT.

WHEAT MEAL

This my amebo habit that will not let me rest.